Want a nice GUI to read through your Twitter (and Facebook) feeds in Ubuntu?
While the official TweetDeck site doesn’t offer a native client and it is not possible to install it on top of Adobe Air anymore (since it’s been dropped), it is possible to get TweetDeck as a wrapped web app in Ubuntu – through Chromium’s “create application shortcuts”.
To set it up just do follow these easy steps:
- Install and run Google Chrome or Chromium (if you haven’t already)
- Open this link inside it to install the TweetDeck web app
- Open the app and set it up (you will need to create a new TweetDeck account and hook it up with your existing Twitter and (if you want to) Facebook accounts)
- Go to File – Create Application Shortcuts… in Chrom(e/ium)
- Done! You have a nice little desktop application wrapper for the well-designed web app. Try searching the Dash for it… (super – “Tweet…”)