Changing MySQL database encoding

For some time now, I had a pending task of converting the latin1-encoded MySQL database powering this site into utf8. I finally managed to do it after getting some advice from the kind people at a Vienna WordPress meetup.

The essence is that out of all the methods suggested in the official documentation, what worked best for me was dumping all the data to a text file, marking up and encoding it as utf-8 in a text editor and then importing it into a new database (instead of working on the production DB) that we point the wp-config.php file to after everything is verified.

Continue reading Changing MySQL database encoding

Apply Some Pressure

Last evening as I was listening Maxïmo Park (to get in the mood for their concert today), I found the song Apply Some Pressure quite interesting. I learned to play it on my guitar and analysed the harmony a bit. Here is my recording of the song (courtesy of my turbo webcam microphone 9000) with annotated chord progressions:

Continue reading Apply Some Pressure