For some time now, I had a pending task of converting the latin1-encoded MySQL database powering this site into utf8. I finally managed to do it after getting some advice from the kind people at a Vienna WordPress meetup.
The essence is that out of all the methods suggested in the official documentation, what worked best for me was dumping all the data to a text file, marking up and encoding it as utf-8 in a text editor and then importing it into a new database (instead of working on the production DB) that we point the wp-config.php file to after everything is verified.
As I went searching for an RStudio equivalent for Python I discovered IPython notebook, which I shortly described in this Stack Overflow answer:
IPython has a really cool sub-project called IPython notebook. It basically allows you to interactively code and document what you’re doing in one interface and later on export it as a notebook or script or print it as static html (and therefore pdf as well).
It starts a web application locally and you use it from your browser.